Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Astoria to Wards Island (7.84 miles)

GoPro claimed that the latest camera had improved low light capabilities, and I was excited to put it to the test.

Wards Island, just over the Triboro Bridge, offers gorgeous views of the New York City skyline, and can be a wonderfully peaceful place to ride at night. I felt I wanted to keep my ride short today, and started for home after only a few miles. As I'm climbing the Triboro Bridge towards Astoria, I realize that my left crank arm is starting to feel wobbly. Soon the crank arm goes from wobbly, to almost completely loose, and I realize something is seriously wrong. I was able to pedal with mostly my right pedal to get over the bridge, and scooted my bike home the last half mile. Just as I approached my block, a motorcycle club passed me and I was able to shoot a clip of them. Tomorrow I will bring my bike to my LBS, and hopefully they can just tighten the crank arm, and I won't need to pay out of pocket to get my bike back on the road.

Anyway, some of the videos I shot were a bit darker than I had hoped, and were not worth keeping. In the darkest areas with little to no residual light the picture will go to almost pitch black, but in most areas where there is some nearby direct lighting, or a fair amount of ambient lighting I thought the GoPro HD Hero 2 performed well.

Check it out!







1 comment:

  1. Hi Blogger. This is Charis (or Harris) - 1 of the guys u ran in2 on the Qns. side of the RFKB. I like your GoPro postings! I also love your enthusiasm 4 cycling - it's contagious! Keep those pedals turning, & again tx 4 telling me about "Bike Glow" (bikeglow.com) - it's a great lighting system 4 the bike!

    ReplyDelete