Tuesday, August 28, 2012

8-25-2012 Astoria to Coney Island and Rockaway Park (49.3 miles)

This past Saturday was a beautiful day to ride one of my favorite long distance routes, it is essentially a loop around Brooklyn, returning to Astoria using Rockaway Beach, and Woodhaven Blvd.

After becoming familiar with the route to Bensonhurst, I had mapped out this added scenic/recreational route that would take me through some famous areas of Brooklyn as well as offer up some beautiful views from the bridges. I set out around noon with an idea to surprise my girlfriend with a short visit, and refill my water bladder, but I would not seek lunch until I was in Howard Beach where I could get a slice of the famous New Park Pizza.

With temperatures in the low 80's, the air was warm, but the humidity was not a factor, and mostly cloudy skies helped keep conditions fairly mild. I had it set in my mind that I would pace myself for the long ride, and I had hoped that the soreness in my back and shoulder from my fall last week wouldn't bother me too much.



Starting out along Astoria Park, and the East River.





Waterfront route to Goodwill Park.





Skyline seen from Long Island City.



Once I reached the Pulaski Bridge, I encountered something I had never witnessed before, the raising of the bridge to admit passage for a tugboat. This held up all bike, pedestrian, and car traffic for a long 5 minutes or more. Finally rolling down into Brooklyn, I was able to pace a road bike rider from Franklin Ave to Kent Ave. Now following the bike lanes further and further South, passing through the trendy areas of Brooklyn, up passed Prospect Park, and finally I passing the famous Greenwood Cemetery, which will lead me to Dahill Road, and 17th Avenue for my first rest stop.



Descending Pulaski Bridge.





Following road bike rider on Franklin Ave to Kent Ave.





Rapid descent down Mc Donald Ave and Greenwood Cemetery.



When I reached my girlfriends apartment in Bensonhurst I only stopped long enough drink, fill my water bladder, and splash myself with some water before heading South along 17th Avenue again. Turning on Cropsey, I rode until I came upon a small bridge leading to Neptune Avenue. At this point I could see MCU Stadium and Steeplechase not far ahead.



Small Bridge, Steeplechase is seen in the distance, approaching Neptune Ave.





MCU Park and Steeplechase, approaching the Coney Island Boardwalk.



Here I rode up onto the Coney Island boardwalk, first I turned West to ride down to the old Bathhouse, and study it's structure adorned with intricate crumbling decoration. I took a few pictures of this interesting building as well as a couple of pictures of the community garden that grew in the lot next to it.



The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





The old bathhouse in Coney Island





Community garden next to the old bathhouse in Coney Island





Community garden next to the old bathhouse in Coney Island





Community garden next to the old bathhouse in Coney Island





Steeplechase and the old bathhouse in Coney Island





Steeplechase and the old bathhouse in Coney Island





Steeplechase and the old bathhouse in Coney Island



Leaving the old bathhouse behind, I resumed my course East along Coney Island boardwalk. As I approached the restaurants and the amusement park the people milled about filling the lane. First I came upon a band playing Latin dance music, and then another area playing dance music as well. Before turning off the boardwalk to pick up Neptune Avenue again I turned to film a boy holding a "FREE HUGS" sign, who then hides behind his sign.



Classic Coney Island bustles with people, lively music, and beautiful Summer scenery.



Now I was headed East on Neptune Ave, and looking for the entrance to the trails that follow the Belt Parkway. Once you pass the Marina (and a Rollin' Roaster) there is a break in a guard rail approaching the Belt Pkwy, where you can enter the trail. This trail leads to a small public beach where I found many people sunbathing, swimming, and kite surfing.

After crossing a narrow, old bridge, the trail branches off from the Belt, and points South again following along Floyd Bennett Field until you come to the foot of the Marine Parkway Bridge. This bridge is also fairly narrow, and the fence around the path feels short. Added to this is the intense winds I seem to always encounter here, makes for a nerve wracking ride over.



Descending Marine Parkway Bridge.





Marine Parkway Bridge.



Riding along Beach Channel drive in Rockaway Park, I finished the push East and met up with the Crossbay Bridge. This is the point at which I begin the ride North to re-enter Queens. Stopping for a few photographs, I could clearly hear the band from the bar below playing classic rock tunes out over the water, as people on jet ski's carved the bay. This stretch has had a nice tailwind each time I've rode over it, and has some nice downhill sections to make for a quick push towards Howard Beach and my second rest area, New Park Pizza.



View from the Crossbay Bridge.





View from the Crossbay Bridge.





Descending the Crossbay Bridge.





Cresting and descending the Joseph P Addabo Bridge. Commenting on the trash bags that litter the bike lane.





New Park Pizza, famous Howard Beach pizza restaurant where I stopped for lunch. An impatient motorist honks at me, so they can pull up in front of a hydrant.



After a single delicious slice of pizza, and a small Italian ice I continued North now on Woodhaven Blvd. This is probably my least favorite part of this loop as the roads are not good for bikes, and the traffic is aggressive through these areas. I always proceed extra cautiously up Woodhaven, and I usually don't feel safe until I am through 63rd Drive and Junction Blvd and back onto 34th Avenue. On 34th Avenue I feel I am back on home turf so to speak, and can complete the route passing LaGuardia Airport, and arriving back in Astoria.



A strange safety device protrudes from a cyclists bike.





As I approach LaGuardia Airport, planes pass nearly overhead.





Another plane passes close by overhead.



No comments:

Post a Comment