Thursday, August 2, 2012

7-31-2012 Three Boroughs, Six Bridges (26.71 Miles)

I had planned to ride the major bridges that connect Long Island and Manhattan for quite sometime now, and when I realized that we would have a break in the weather Monday I hastily threw together the gear I had that was ready, and mapped my route.

This ride was to be purely a photographic expedition, an attempt to film and photograph 6 iconic New York City bridges in a relatively short distance.

Having only 1 full battery for my video camera and little extra power left in my solar panel stored up, I knew my video camera may not last the whole trip, but I was sure to get decent stills on all.

The route I used connected Vernon Blvd with Kent Ave, and Flushing Ave, following the signs that point bikes toward the bridges as I came upon them from the North.

I believe minimal narrative is needed for this beautiful route, and will let the pictures and video do the talking.



Triboro Bridge





Triboro Bridge





Descending the Triboro Bridge





Under Triboro, past the skate park, exiting Astoria Park.





27th Ave to Rainey Park.





Queensbridge Park, tour boat passes under Queensboro Bridge.





Pulaski Bridge





Pulaski Bridge





Pulaski Bridge





Pulaski Bridge





Descending Pulaski Bridge





Following Fixie Rider on Franklin to Kent.





Williamsburg Bridge





Descending Williamsburg Bridge.



Of course one would come across a bike vending machine in Williamsburg....









More of these, less soft drink machines?











Riding alongside Williamsburg Bridge to return to Kent Ave.





Man taunting traffic on Flushing Ave.





Manhattan Bridge.





Descending Manhattan Bridge.





Electric scooter in bike lane on Jay Street.





Ascending Brooklyn Bridge.





Ascending Brooklyn Bridge continued.





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge





Brooklyn Bridge



On my way up to the Queensborough Bridge via the East River Esplanade I stopped in the shadow of the bridges for a photo op.





It was at this point in the ride that my video camera ran out of power and I was left shooting only stills on the Queensborough Bridge.



Queensborough Bridge





Queensborough Bridge





Queensborough Bridge



This ride was the first of what I hope to many rides on this route. Next time I shoot this ride I will try for a sunnier day, and bring a third camera that also offers panoramics. I might just do time lapse with the GoPro instead of video, and do a post of stills only.



No comments:

Post a Comment